Thursday, March 13, 2014

My Inner Light Self Portrait - Gypsy Muse in Grapevine, TX

One of my favorite things to do is create something, ANYTHING!  I spend all day behind a desk where there is no real sense of completion.  It just goes on and on.  It is the nature of what I do for a living.  On a spiritual level that is not satisfying for me.

I crave creativity.  I hadn't really allowed myself to nourish this part of me until this past year.  I went on a quest to find out not only what I love, but what feeds my soul.  Valentine's day weekend I went to  pamper myself with a manicure and pedicure at a place in Grapevine.  I got there over an hour early so I could walk around downtown  and take pictures.  

A block away from the salon was this cool looking house, which ended up being a gallery, shop and art studio. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it.   Sharen Chatterton is the owner and artist.  Gypsy Muse Studio



I signed up for her class "Your Inner Light: A Self Portrait"  it was a 2 day class and I had a blast!  She took me from a blank canvas to this in two 4 hour sessions.  It was a small class and we had so much fun!  This is my favorite piece and it hangs in my bedroom in my meditation corner.

I felt like I was a little girl back in school, except the scissors were pointy.  We  were digging through piles of paper finding patterns and pictures that we like, words, designs, whatever spoke to use we grabbed.  Then she tells us that we are to tear the paper not cut it and cover the top of the canvas around the face we have drawn.  I had a moment when my OCD kicked in, what?! Tear the paper?!  I was quickly able to shrug it off and start ripping paper all over the place.  It was strangely satisfying and a good stress reliever.  Then came the glue!  We glued everything down and got to start painting and designing our background, then the hair.  It amazes me how everything always comes together in the last final details.  

I am taking her "Make and Take Bees Wax Canvas Workshop" on Saturday.   I will take lots of pictures.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Mama Kat

Mama’s Losin’ It